The Post-Concussive Institute is a comprehensive treatment program designed for individuals experiencing physical, cognitive, and/or emotional difficulties after sustaining a head trauma.
Upon referral to our Post-Concussive Institute, an appointment is set up with a Marianjoy Medical Group physiatrist and an individualized treatment plan is then developed. An interdisciplinary team provides the necessary support and treatment to help the patient successfully return to school and/or work.
Marianjoy also offers pre- and post-injury neurocognitive screenings such as ImPACT Testing.
The most common causes of injury resulting in brain trauma/concussion include:
- Motor vehicle accidents
- Sports trauma
- Work injuries
Many problems can arise after brain trauma/concussion, impacting an individual’s daily functioning, including:
- Decreased attention/concentration
- Impaired memory
- Difficulty with initiation
- Irritability, anxiety, or fatigue
- Dizziness or visual changes
- Change in behavior, personality, or impulsivity
- Delayed speed in mental processing
The Post-Concussive Institute Therapy Team
- A physiatrist who specializes in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- A speech-language pathologist addresses cognitive-communicative functioning, specifically memory, mental processing, and organization skills
- An occupational therapist provides visual assessment and visual re-training, as well as assessment of work, home, and school management
- A physical therapist identifies musculoskeletal, endurance, and balance/vestibular problems
- Neuropsychology for emotional support, neuropsychological assessment, and behavioral intervention
- Vocational counseling to address return to work needs
- A coordinator/case manager who provides nursing consultation as needed, case management, and discharge-planning services
To schedule an appointment, please call 630-909-7000. A Marianjoy Medical Group physician appointment is required prior to being admitted into the Post-Concussive Institute.
Click here to listen to our Sports Concussion Ad
Learn more about ImPACT Testing and the symptoms of concussions
For more information our post-concussion services, call our Brain Injury Coordinator at 630-909-8608.
To set up an appointment with an MMG physician for a Post-Concussion assessment, call 630-909-7000 and notify the representative that you are a concussion patient.
Glossary of Terms Relating to Concussion
Sports Legacy Institute