State-of-the-Art Swallowing Evaluation
Marianjoy's Rose McSweeney Swallowing and Voice Center has helped many patients return to a normal life where eating, drinking, talking, and smiling are routine. Located in Wheaton, Illinois, our state-of-the art center provides diagnostic evaluations and treatment using the most advanced technology available. Marianjoy's team of specialists includes:
Otolaryngologists: board-certified physicians who specialize in the ear, nose, and throat.
Physiatrists: board-certified specialists who are trained in physical medicine and rehabililtation.
Speech/Language Pathologists: board-recognized specialists in swallowing and swallowing disorders.
Anyone can develop a swallowing difficulty, from a newborn baby to senior citizens. Some people may have been born without the ability to swallow normall,y and others may have lost the capacity to swallow due to illness or injury. Together, we focus on thorough evaluation and specialized treatment plans to improve swallowing and voice production.
We treat individuals who have:
- Swallowing disorders (dysphagia)
- Voice disorders (dysphonia)
A center for excellence and leader in rehabilitation treatment and research, the Marianjoy team provides one-on-one care with education for you and your family. The award-winning Marianjoy swallowing and voice research team includes over 30 physicians and staff from a variety of disciplines focused on discovering better ways to diagnose, treat, and manage individuals with swallowing disorders.
Our team knows firsthand how lifestyles can be affected when these innate and vital abilities are compromised. The consequences of swallowing disorders can vary from person to person. Our programs focus on high-tech evaluation techniques that quickly shed light on the problem areas so that therapies and treatment can begin immediately. Marianjoy's Rose McSweeney Swallowing and Voice Center offers these comprehensive evaluation and treatment services:
- Swallowing on video, a motion picture of your swallowing function.
- Viewing of the swallowing mechanism using endoscopy.
- Voice evaluation by stroboscopy provides vivid details of the movement of the vocal folds during swallowing and speech.
- Acoustic analysis and voice-function evaluation via computer assessment.
- Muscle assessment and retraining via computer for swallowing and speech.
The goal of treatment is to achieve the greatest benefits, allowing you to lead a more productive and enjoyable life by improving swallowing and voice functions as well as reducing the effects of your voice or swallowing disorder. Specific benefits include:
- Comprehensive, state-of-the-art evaluation.
- Experienced specialists from many fields are available in one facility.
- Treatment programs are tailored to each individual's specific concerns.
- Clinical services are covered by most insurance companies.
- Inpatient and outpatient services are available, as prescribed by your doctor.
For More Information
Our swallowing and voice services are available at Marianjoy Rehabilitation Hospital
Please contact Marianjoy's Rose McSweeney Swallowing and Voice Center specialists at