Marianjoy Rehabilitation Hospital firmly believes that the development of scholarly and applied research will improve the rehabilitation health care protocols of the future. In the Marianjoy culture of respect for each individual, our research teams work with integrity to pursue research excellence. In order to be good stewards of the knowledge we gain, we openly share what we have learned.
Marianjoy’s current research focuses on improving areas of rehabilitation treatment and care in six main areas:
- SWALLOWING — The Rose McSweeney Swallowing Center conducts cutting-edge dysphagia research
- STROKE RECOVERY — Regaining balance and gait after a stroke
- DIABETIC NEUROPATHY — Gait training and assistance
- FALL PREVENTION — Marianjoy has developed an important fall prevention tool for acute rehabilitation settings
- TRAUMATIC BRAIN INJURY — Research with individuals with severe traumatic brain injury
- ALTERNATIVE MEDICINE — Marianjoy is very interested in studies that incorporate alternative medicine approaches (e.g., acupuncture, healing touch, etc.) into various treatment regimens.
Marianjoy research projects have been and are currently being funded by governmental agencies (including the National Institute for Health - NIH), private foundations and individuals. Marianjoy also participates in clinical trials to study innovative rehabilitation treatments and interventions.
For more information on current research at Marianjoy, please contact
Dr. Kathleen Ruroede at (630) 909-7142.
Rose McSweeney Swallowing Center
A cornerstone of Marianjoy’s rehabilitation is the Rose McSweeney Swallowing Center, which generates important rehabilitation research. The Center uses state-of-the-art diagnostic equipment to offer comprehensive evaluations and treatments that have provided the basis for cutting-edge research on dysphagia.
Marianjoy Research Authorship Accomplishments 2011-2012
Research Posters and Presentations
Marianjoy clinicians are actively involved in research in the field of physical medicine and rehabilitation.
2013 Research Posters and Presentations
2012 Research Posters and Presentations
2011 Research Posters and Presentations
To learn more about research activities conducted at Marianjoy, please contact Dr. Kathleen Ruroede, Vice President for Research and Quality, at (630) 909-7142.